“S” Marks The Spot…
…the sweet spot.
Ah, Facebook. Who knows what you’ll find there. During a recent trip to FB Land, I saw a post from classmate Elaine, who I know is a wiz in the kitchen whether she’s cooking or baking. She shared a photo of some tempting “S” cookies that looked quite tasty, so I asked for the recipe. And when I read it and saw they were “melt in your mouth with a light lemon flavor,” I was inspired to share what I think would be the perfect summer treat with you.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- Combine softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each egg
- Add lemon extract
- Combine flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and mix well
- Pinch about 1-inch of dough and roll into a 3-inch log between your hands. Shape into an “S”
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes
- Cool on wire rack
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Make a simple glaze with powdered sugar, lemon extract and milk
- Dip the top of cookies in glaze and let dry on a rack
The first time I make these, I’ll follow the recipe because I’m a big lemon fan. But after that, who knows. My mind is already racing, wondering about using orange zest and orange extract. Then again, maybe rum extract, or vanilla or almond. A quick check of the McCormick’s website shows so many extract flavors, including raspberry, anise, lime, coconut and maple…and I just happen to like all of them, so it looks like I’ll be hitting the sweet spot often with these cookies!
Do you have a favorite cookie recipe?
Drop me a line. I’d love to hear from you.